Thursday, February 2, 2012

Marquette Park

Dressed for winter.
Excerpt" "From the South Side"  All rights reserved , Stuart Marder,  2014
Marquette Park was, and still is, one of the largest public parks in Chicago. My family lived only a few short blocks away from Marquette Road,  the park's northern boundary. From as long as I remember, Marquette Park was always our year around home away from home.

When I was little, my great aunt and grandmother would bring my brother and me to the playground in the middle of the park, where we would  wear ourselves out on the  swings, slides and  teeter-totters. Then we would dig in a huge sandbox,  run under a sprinkler in the wading pool and get positively drenched. At the edge of the playground was a cement water fountain. You got someone to boost you up, and there was nothing better than that icy first drink of water in the hot summer sun.

Later as  grade schoolers,  we could  go to the park with friends. We would filch waxed paper from our kitchens, climb up the slides that seemed monstrously high, place the paper under our butts, and whoosh down and down at a million miles an hour. My mother could never figure out why the seat of my jeans was always so shiny!

For older kids and adults, there were  full size tennis courts in three different locations. On any given day, you had to reserve a court, or wait patiently for an opening. The courts weren't shaded, so people rarely played in the heat of the day. That didn't stop my friends and me. With a good cap on your head and a spray bottle to cool you down, you could play at least two sets until it was too hot to continue. Unfortunately, no one knew about sunblock in those days, so we all sported red faces and tanned arms. Getting on our bikes, we'd ride down Marquette Road to the deli on Kedzie for root beer Popsicles, chocolate milk and Twinkies. Yum!!

Throughout the entire park ran miles and miles of winding hiking and bike trails.  In the middle of everything was a huge, deep  lagoon where people fished, sailed model boats, flew radio controlled airplanes, and skated in the winter. Even before the lagoon froze, you could zoom around an outdoor ice rink.As little kids, we had to dodge the hockey players and were forever falling.Because we lived so close, my brother and would walk over in our skates, not coming home until we were numb and shivering with cold.


On winter Sunday afternoons, my dad would drive us over to the sledding hills, where we stayed for   hours.My sister, Judi, bought us a genuine wooden Flexible Flier sled with our last name emblazoned in red.
So, watch me make a flying  leap onto my belly and steer that sled down the ice packed hill! At the top of the hill, my brother is waving his arms and yelling, "My turn, my turn!!" My father would help me pull the sled uphill, then take off on his own. Not fair!!


At the age of eight, I joined Cub Scouts. That summer,  most of Marquette Park was transformed into the Glorious Annual Pow-wow. Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts from all over the Southwest side gathered to proudly demonstrate the woodcraft and camping skills they learned during the year.
 The Cub Scouts all competed in an  Indian dance contest. We were resplendent in  war paint, leggings, fringed shirts and moccasins . Our pack added  head dresses complete with "buffalo" horns that actually came from cows, and had to be boiled for hours to eliminate their  really, nasty  pungent odor.  Mom volunteered to boil the horns in a huge pot on an old stove in our basement .Of course .our house smelled like the stockyards for hours afterwards. I ventured downstairs to supervise and beat a hasty retreat.
"Oy, such a smell!"

Even though my dad was a skilled podiatrist, he lacked the right tools to help me make the tomahawk I needed to round out my costume. Max, our upstairs neighbor came to our rescue, using his power jig saw and sander  to fashion a really authentic looking weapon . Boy was I impressed! My dad  painted the
weapon green  (don't ask why) and I glued on some feathers. I was all set for the Pow-wow.
A parade down Marquette Road signaled the start of the festivities. Police blocked off traffic and we were led by officers on motorcycles. I was bursting with pride and excitement as I saw my family waving at me.How cool was that!

A few years later, as a Boy Scout, I looked forward camping all weekend in the park. No time for dancing then .We busily put  up pup  tents, tied hundreds of knots, whittled tent pegs with our official jack knives, and cooked beans and hot dogs over the fire. No one worried if it rained, because White Castle was only a few blocks away with an unlimited supply of 12 cent sliders. And of course, you couldn't pass up the chance at night to tell ghost stories, roast marshmallows, drink root beer and pee in the campfire.
(A manly right of passage required of all real Boy Scouts.)

When I was in eighth grade, my Boy Scout patrol went on a  three mile winter hike around the perimeter of the Marquette Park Lagoon. My mom, ever the practical one,supplied me with long underwear, heavy socks and hiking boots. It didn't take long before I realized that she was right. The rest of my troop was shivering and I was just fine.Of course,  I was too embarrassed to tell anyone about my long johns. Finally, Ronnie Meyers, the patrol leader saw me hitching up my Scout Pants and guessed my secret. Instead of making fun of me, he asked me where I got them. I came home with an order for seven pairs of long underwear and thick  socks from my friendsl.

As a 16 year old, Marquette Park had a more serious purpose.. Literally, everyone I knew learn to drive in the park....and with the same results. Kids tried their fathers'  patience and after a few lessons and numerous  near misses, we  ended up  with our licenses .We would swap tales about  traffic jams we caused, about making U-turns perilously close to the lagoon, and about the  futile hours spent learning to parallel park.

When you earned your driver's license, you headed right  for the Marquette Lagoon in the evenings. What is there about a body of water and a car that brings out teenage lust and romance?  But like all good things, there were limits. First, it was really hard to find a secluded parking space. Next, cars in the  60's were rear wheel drive, which meant there was a big transmission hump (pun intended) in the front seat. Finally, just as things were getting warmed up, the police would invariably show up with their flashlights.
"How are you kids doing? "
 "We're watching the submarine races,"would come the reply.
 "Don'tcha got anything better to do?
"  Actually, not, Officer."

Then, in the summer of 1966, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. staged a Civil Rights march through Marquette Park. Some area residents showed up in force to oppose him  and a  riot ensued. For almost an entire week, the park and nearby Marquette Road were closed to all traffic. Cars and buses were overturned and burned and people were badly hurt. Dr. King was hit with a rock. Our nearby synagogue became a safe house.  Time magazine photos featured the ugly events  in that week's issue. I was attending college that summer a few mile to the south, and the turmoil prevented me from going to classes.  Later that fall, Michael Collins established the headquarters of the virulent American Nazi Party a  block from the park, spewing anti-Black and anti-Semitic hatred. Swastikas and White Power signs were in abundance.Sadly, our peaceful  park had become  a war zone, never to really recover.

In all these many years, I have only once returned to Marquette Park. Only a few of my brave friends have, and they say it's best not to go there.In my mind, fish swim lazily in the lagoon,   wooden sleds still zoom down the hills, and the tennis courts  echo with the laughter of my best buddies.

1 comment: